Saturday 21 August 2010

A Promise of Hope - Amy Clipston

When Sarah Troyer tragically loses her husband Peter, she is left to raise infant twins alone. Overwhelmed and grieving, she lives with her parents in the Amish community of Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania. Sarah is taken completely by surprise when a stranger arrives claiming connections to Peter's past - Peter had told her he was an orphan with no family. From Luke, she learns her husband hid a secret life, one with ramifications that will change her own. Sarah's family, concerned for her and the future of her twins, encourages her to marry again. It should make sense - but Sarah's heart says no. She feels trapped. Should she marry a man she doesn't love? Or discover if her growing interest in Luke can be trusted? 

This is the second book in the Kauffman Amish Bakery series and the book that made me realise that Clipston is definitely my favourite author of Amish fiction. Beverly Lewis may well have earned a name for herself but I’ve fallen in love with the Kauffman novels. Clipston portrays the Amish as normal people who have the same problems as us “Englishers” and have to rely on God to help them through these struggles. I particularly like the fact that Clipston mentions specific Bible verses through her novels, rather than simply having vague references to characters praying. I really got the feeling that these characters looked to the Lord when they experienced problems. I also loved the sense of community that exists in the Kauffman family. I really envy the togetherness and commitment of Amish communities, which Clipston captures beautifully. I wasn’t completely sure what to think of the storyline initially, as the idea of an Amish husband with a hidden past seemed a bit over-the-top, but it panned out wonderfully and I really felt the emotions of Sarah Rose and Luke. I’ve rather fallen in love with Clipston’s characters and I hope that the epilogue was hinting at a third book in the series about Sarah Rose’s brother Timothy. Another 10/10 from my favourite Amish author!

No comments:

Post a Comment